This soy honey noodle salad with chicken and broccoli is an easy, healthy lunch recipe and perfect for making ahead.
Full recipe with amounts can be found in the recipe card below.
- Noodles. I used egg noodles but feel free to use any noodles you prefer.
- Chicken. Boneless, skinless chicken breasts.
- Soy sauce.
- Lemon juice.
- Garlic powder.
- Chilli flakes.
- Sesame seeds.
- Spring onion / Green onion.
- Vegetables of your choice. I used broccoli but sugar snap peas, green beans, bok choy, kale, spinach and asparagus will all be delicious.
HOW TO MAKE NOODLE SALAD
- Prepare the chicken: Season boneless skinless chicken breasts with a little olive oil, salt, garlic powder and lemon juice. Cook in a hot frying pan or skillet until golden brown and cooked through. Remove from the pan and allow to cool before slicing.
- Make the noodle salad: Boil noodles of your choice (ramen noodles, udon noodles, soba noodles or egg noodles all work well) in plenty of salted boiling water. Drain and rinse with cold water then place in a bowl. Add the sesame seeds and spring / green onions.
- Make the salad dressing: Combine the oil, soy sauce, honey, lemon juice and seasoning and mixing well. Pour the dressing over the noodles and toss to coat. Serve the noodle salad topped with cooked chicken and vegetables of your choice.
CAN YOU FREEZE NOODLE SALAD?
Noodle salad doesn’t freeze very well so I wouldn’t recommend it. You can make the salad 3-4 days in advance though if you would like to meal prep ahead.
HOW TO COOK CHICKEN FOR SALAD
- Quick cooking: To ensure the chicken cooks even faster, you can pound the chicken breasts thin between two sheets of parchment paper or slice them in half horizontally to create two thin chicken cutlets.
- Use spices to flavor: The easiest and most delicious way to cook chicken for salad is to grill or pan-fry it. Use skinless boneless chicken breasts and season generously with your favorite herbs and spices. Depending on the salad you are serving the chicken with, spice your chicken using spices that will compliment the salad. Herbs de Provence, Italian seasoning, dried oregano, basil, rosemary, thyme and sage are all delicious on chicken. Cumin, coriander, sumac, red pepper flakes/chilli flakes, paprika and Garam masala will give the chicken a lot of flavor. Garlic and ginger are always a good idea too! Add a bit of acidity in the form of lemon or lime juice then cook your chicken until golden brown on both sides and cooked through.