This lemon parmesan kale pasta with simple white wine sauce is ridiculous easy and so delicious. Perfect for weeknights or when you need something light.
Full kale pasta recipe with amounts can be found in the recipe card below.
- Olive oil.
- Kale. Spinach, chard, Cavolo Nero or baby kale can all be used.
- Fresh Garlic.
- Red pepper flakes / Chilli flakes.
- Fresh lemon juice.
- White wine. I used Chenin Blanc but Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay or Pinot Grigio will all work.
- Parmesan cheese. Optional. Grana Padano or Pecorino are good substitutes. If you would prefer to keep this recipe vegatarian, substitute with a suitable option.
- Salt and pepper.
- Pasta of your choice. I used spaghetti but any long pasta shape will work. Wholewheat or spelt pasta will also be delicious.
How to make kale pasta
- How to cook kale for pasta: Slice the woody stem out of the kale then wash well and roughly chop. Dry with a clean tea towel or a salad spinner. In a large frying pan heat the olive oil then sauté the garlic and pepper flakes for 30 seconds. Add the kale and allow to cook until wilted.
- Make the sauce: Add the white wine, lemon juice and butter to the pan and allow to simmer for a few minutes until the kale is cooked. Season to taste.
- Assemble: Toss in the cooked pasta and a few tablespoons of the pasta cooking water. Add the Parmesan and continue tossing until the pasta is coated. Serve with a generous handful of grated Parmesan.
Can I add cream to this pasta sauce?
Absolutely. You can ½ cup heavy or whipping cream to this recipe when you pour in the white wine and lemon juice. Allow to simmer for 5 minutes until the sauce coats the back of a spoon easily.