Lemon butter baked fish is the perfect, easy sheet pan dinner recipe. Baked with asparagus and a delicious lemon butter sauce this is a gluten-free and keto friendly recipe the whole family will love.
This baked fish recipe needs only a handful of ingredients. The fish is of course the star of the show. I prefer using a flaky white fish like hake or cod but tilapia, haddock, halibut, etc. will all work well.
- White fish. I always get my fishmonger to remove any bones for me.
- Lemon. Lime juice can be substituted.
- Herbs. Oregano, thyme, rosemary, parsley and dill are all delicious with fish.
- Salt and black pepper.
- Asparagus. Green beans, broccoli, sugar snap peas can all be used instead.
How to make lemon butter baked fish
- Make the lemon butter: Add butter, garlic and a few tablespoons of lemon juice to a saucepan and bring to a simmer. Cook for 2-3 minutes until the sauce is fragrant then set aside.
- Bake the fish: Line a sheet pan or baking dish with parchment paper. Place fish fillets and asparagus (green beans, sugar snap peas or broccoli can be substituted). Pour the lemon butter sauce over the fish and asparagus and season with salt and pepper. Bake in a pre-heated oven until the fish and asparagus are cooked through and fork tender, approximately 12-15 minutes.
What kind of fish can be baked?
Most fish varieties bake very well but for this recipe any white fish will work. You could use salmon or trout too.
How long should you cook fish in the oven?
In a 200ºC/400ºF pre-heated oven, fish fillets should take no longer than 10-12 minutes to cook. Cooking time will depend on size and thickness of fillets. Fish is cooked when it can easily flake apart and the flesh is opaque.