This easy Instant Pot tomato soup is a no-fuss, no-mess recipe that is perfect for simple lunches and dinners served with crusty bread.
Full recipe with amounts can be found in the recipe card below.
- Olive oil.
- Tomatoes. I used canned tomatoes.
- Tomato paste.
- Fresh basil.
- Stock/broth. I used vegetable stock but chicken stock can also be used.
- Salt and pepper.
- Cream. Heavy/whipping cream.
HOW TO MAKE INSTANT POT TOMATO SOUP
- Sauté: Set the Instant Pot to Sauté function. Heat the olive oil then sauté the onion and garlic for a few minutes until fragrant. Add the oregano and fresh basil and cook for another 30 seconds. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, stock, sugar, salt and pepper.
- Cook: Place the lid on and turn the vent to sealing position. Cook the soup on high pressure for 10 minutes then quick-release the pressure.
- Puree: Puree the soup in either a blender or with an immersion blender. Pour in the cream then allow to simmer for 5 minutes (on sauté function). Season to taste and serve with fresh basil.
HOW TO THICKEN TOMATO SOUP
The best way to thicken Instant Pot tomato soup is to allow the soup to simmer, uncovered, once blended. The excess liquid will evaporate and the soup will thicken naturally.
CAN I MAKE INSTANT POT TOMATO SOUP IN ADVANCE?
Yes, this soup can be made up to 3 days in advance and kept in the fridge. Reheat before serving. The soup can also be frozen in freezer-proof containers for up to 3 months. Allow to thaw overnight then reheat before serving.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH TOMATO SOUP
- Easy cheesy corn beer bread
- Focaccia bread
- Easy crusty bread