Macaroni salad is the perfect side dish for casual summer eating. This easy creamy curried macaroni salad recipe is a twist on an old classic.
Full recipe with amounts can be found in the recipe card below.
- Macaroni. Use any short pasta shape of your choice.
- Red bell pepper.
- Red onion.
- Celery. Can be substituted with fennel.
- Canned peaches. The sweetness of the peaches works incredibly well with the curried dressing.
- Condensed milk. The sweet, creaminess of the condensed milk is just delicious in this dressing. Try it, you won’t be disappointed!
- Curry powder. Any fine spice mix will work. I like curry mixes with coriander, cumin, cardamom, turmeric, etc.
- Cayenne pepper.
- Lemon juice.
- Salt and pepper.
CAN YOU FREEZE MACARONI SALAD?
Any pasta salad really is best served on the day it is made or a day or two after. They generally don’t freeze well because their creamy dressings split once defrosted and pasta can become watery or mealy once frozen.
HOW LONG DOES MACARONI SALAD LAST?
Depending on the ingredients (meat, boiled eggs, etc) it can last up to 5 days in the fridge, covered well. If you have meat or boiled eggs, it should be safe to eat for up to 3 days if kept chilled and covered.
DO YOU RINSE MACARONI FOR SALAD?
Rinsing pasta is usually a big no-no as the starch that clings to the pasta is what allows the sauce to cling to the pasta and is often used to emulsify the sauce. However, with pasta salad that isn’t such a big concern so rinsing is perfectly fine. It also helps to rinse cooked pasta for salad as the pasta will stick to each other less when rinsed.